Cherry Berry Crumble
A warm delicious comfort food, that’s easy to make! So much simpler than a pie, but just as good. Top with fresh whipped cream, or creamy vanilla icecream. Can be easily made vegan too!
Play around with different types of berry assortments, but for this recipe, we will use fresh-picked blueberries, and Surinam cherries I picked up at a local South Florida farmer’s market.
You Will Need
- 3 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of pitted cherries (or any 4 cup combo of berries)
- 1/2 cup of cane sugar
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of cold butter, cut into cubes
- (keep refrigerated until ready)
- Vegan– substitute butter with 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/2 of brown sugar
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, berries, 1/2 half cup of cane sugar and lemon juice
- Stir together, making the sugar coat the berries evenly
- Sugar, maple syrup or honey is recommended over sugar substitutes– the sucrose brings out the fructose in the berries
- Add the berry mixture to a greased shallow pan, put aside
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and a pinch of salt into a bowl
- Add cold cubed butter
- With clean hands, begin to squeeze the butter and mix into the dry ingredients
- Combine thoroughly, but you want to have large lumps of buttery crumbles.
- Sprinkle the crumbled concoction on top of the berries, evenly distributing the larger crumbles throughout the top of the dish
- Sprinkle any leftover mixture on the perimeter of the crumbles, to make a good, firm topping
- Bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes
Make sure to let it cool for a bit before serving, but best served warm. Top with whipped cream, or my personal favorite- icecream.
Let me know how yours came out in the comments below!