Spicy Mango Salsa
Summer is upon us and soon we’ll be out enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. One of my favorite things to make is a bright and tasty mango salsa. It has become one of my most requested dishes. Sweet from fresh mangos, with a strong kick from red onion and jalapeno. Fresh cilantro ties it all in to make a zesty sweet salsa.
A great addition to any barbeque, picnic or gathering; good enough to enjoy by yourself! Here is my favorite way to make Mango Salsa.
You Will Need
- 3 ripe mangos (firm, not too squishy)
- 1/2 of a red onion (1 cup chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- or keep the seeds for an added kick
- Finely chopped cilantro (1/4 cup)
- Juice from a whole lime (2 tbsp)
- Chips for dipping
- I prefer the lime salted types of tortilla chips
Let’s Get Chopping!
- Start out first with trimming the stem of the jalapeno, and slicing it down the center into two halves.
- Remove the seeds for a more mild flavor, or keep them for an added kick.
- Cut the pepper into thin slices, and then finely chop into small pieces.
- Now we chop our half of a red onion
- Cut the onion in half, sliced and then coarsely chopped
- Continue to chop until the onion is fine or a food processor will come in real handy.
- Place the chopped onion, jalpenos into the food processor, and the leafy tops of your cilantro
- Mix until your onions and cilantro are at a fine enough consistency.
- A food processor will make the cilantro preparation a lot easier!
- Pour the spicy mixture into a mixing bowl for later
- Now begin to slice and dice your mangos.
- There are several methods out there, and my favorite way is to cube them.
- After you chop up your mango, you can place them in the mixing bowl or back into the food processor with a generous squeeze of lime juice.
Putting the mango in LAST is a great way to grab up any last bit of pepper, onion, and cilantro.
The finished product. Great for dipping with chips, or even as a topping for fish such as scallops, snapper or swordfish. Try out this recipe, and let me know how it comes out in the comments!