Spiked Apple Pie
Warm soft pillows of orchard picked nature sweetness; wrapped up in cinnamon- brown sugar, grass-fed buttery flaky crust and a splash of fun? Look no further than my Spiked Apple Pie recipe, my favorite bake to make.
You Will Need
4 large apples
at least 3 different varietals to alternate texture and make an ooey gooey mouthfeel
Recommended for baking: Granny Smith, Braeburn, Honeycrisp, Jonagold and Pink Lady
1/4 cup of apple flavored vodka
1/4 cup of spiced rum
1/3 cup of dark brown sugar
1/3 cup of lemon juice
2 tbsp of grass-fed butter
2 tbsp of maple syrup (real maple, not corn syrup)
2 tbsp of ground cinnamon
A dash of sea salt
And a sprinkle of clove (or pumpkin pie spice if you don’t have clove alone)
2 pie crusts (either prepared or package)
Drawn butter or ghee (melted down to liquid)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F
- 2. Wash and peel the apples
- 3. By the time you are done peeling the apples, your oven should be ready for the bottom pie crust. With a fork, poke a few areas around the dough to avoid any bubbling. Bake for 15-20 mins, at the center of the oven.
- 4. While the bottom pie crust bakes, finish prepping fruit base. Cut each apple in half, core and remove seeds, then cut into medium sized slices
- Tip: some varietals of apples will soften to a mush and some will stand up to the heat and retain their shape. This is why a recommend using a few different types in the same pie
- 5. Warm up a skillet with 2 tbsp of butter (grass-fed is ideal for its creamy texture and higher quality) and add the apples
- First, add the lemon juice, brown sugar and maple syrup and cook on medium heat for 1-2 mins, coating and stirring regularly. Then add the salt and spices
- After that add the rum and apple vodka (if you don’t have apple flavored vodka, then just use more spiced rum. It’s saturates the apples for a nice poached effect.)
6. Your pie filling should be ready by the time the bottom crust is ready to come out of the oven. Let it cool a bit, around 5 mins and then add the apple filling.
7. Sprinkle more cinnamon on top of the center of the pie, a squeeze of lemon and a dash of sea salt.
8. Carefully place the top pie crust dough on top, and pinch in the edges to seal both crusts together.
9. With a pastry brush, paint the top of the crust with melted butter or liquid ghee.
10. Cut a few areas of the crust to prevent bubbling and wrap the edges of the crust in tinfoil to prevent over-browning.